Azzaden Valley Overnight Trek
Hiking High Atlas Morocco in 5 days
Itinerary Day per Day:
Day 1: Marrakech- Asni- Imioughlad – Tacht Pass – Tiziane (1950 m)
Departure to 8Hen vehicle for the mountains of the high western atlas of Toubkal by the small mountain town Asni before arriving at the village Imi n’Oughlad where we meet our team of muleteers, start hiking by a first climb that will lead us to the pass from Tacht (2000m). A stop allows to appreciate a superb sight on the village. We go down to a source for lunch. Then we descend to reach the village of Tiziane located in a valley with multiple colors of land. Overnight at the home stay. 1h30 drive. 5 hours of walking.
Day 2: Tiziane (1950m) – Col n’Ikiss (2400m) – Tkent (2150 m)
We leave the village of Tiziane. We begin to climb in the shade of gigantic walnut trees, and then the sun will come to heat us before the arrival at the neck. It is always better to purify the water taken at the sources or in the rivers before drinking it, because it is likely to disturb the digestive system unaccustomed to spring water. We cross a thuriferous juniper forest before reaching the Teouti -2400m pass. We descent to Assaka. Then have lunch. Then we continue to Tizgui, an exceptional village with its hydraulic mills and beautiful architecture. Night at the homestay 5:30 walk.
Day 3: The Tkent Valley (2150m) – Tagdalt Pass (2700m) – Tizi Oussem (1950m)
The departure is around 8H by a ravine at the foot of a summit of more than 3,600 meters above sea level. 1h30 climb by an easy path. Here is the domain of shepherds; we meet herds and Berbers shepherds. From the Tagdalt pass, there is a panoramic view of the surrounding peaks. Long descent between a juniper forests Thurifera. We have lunch in the shade of gigantic walnut trees along the Azaden River. We are in the most beautiful valley of Toubkal – scenery to enjoy while having lunch and recovering strength after the tiredness of hiking. In the afternoon, we continue to the village Tizi Oussem (1950m). Night homestay, 6hrs walk.
Day 4: Tizi Oussem – Mzik Pass (2450m) – Imlil
In the morning, climb 600 meters to reach the Mzik pass (2450 m). Descent to Berdoun sheepfold then to the valley of Mzik (1750 m). We descend to the beautiful valley of Imlil and its landscapes of green valley in the middle of orchards. Lunch at the terrace under the big trees of walnut trees. Then we continue to the villageof Imlil where we spend our night at the guesthouse. 6 to 7 hrs walk
Day 5: Imlil – Armed – Chamharouch – Imlil- Marrakech
After Breakfast we start our day out to visit the Holy shrine of Chamharouch, we follow the canals that irrigate terraced crops between the beautiful villages clinging to the slopes of this northern slope of the Toubkal massif, then by a mule track to arrive at the small village and Marabout of Sidi Chamarouch at 2400 meters altitude. Beyond, in the direction of Toubkal, then we return to Imlil, after lunch, end of our hike, we leave the muleteers and find the vehicle. Back to Marrakech.
Price: from 340 € / person.
- English speaking guide.
- All meals.
- Berber House for accommodations.
- Mule to carry your staff.
- Transfer from & to Marrakech.
- Travel insurance
- Own Expenses
Before To Go!
- To do this trek, you should be in good physical conditions, but efforts will be rewarded.
- Good walking shoes are mandatory, Sleeping bag.
- To confirm this Trek you need a deposit of 15% before you start and 85% at the start time.
- Payment: Cash
Duration: 5 days of walking.
Period: from March to November
Travel: on foot.
Accommodation: Berber House.
Meals: typical Moroccan dishes (tagine, couscous, …). Fresh products and complementary preserves, meat bought in the mountains. Picnic or salads at noon, hot and cooked meal in the evening.
Climate: dry and hot in spring, cold at night in winter. Thunderstorm possible
Supervision: Berber guide speaking French and English, cook, mule drivers.
- Portage: For walkers a small backpack for the day’s belongings. Mules are available for carrying luggage.
- Supervision: By a French speaking Moroccan mountain guide assisted by a cook and muleteers.
- Accommodation: Riad Atlas Imlil, Bivouac in a 2-person tent with mattresses, lodgings during the hike.
- Meals: typical Moroccan dishes (tagine, couscous, …). Fresh products and complementary preserves, meat bought in the mountains. Picnic or salads at noon, hot and cooked meal in the evening.
- Climate: dry and hot in spring, cold at night in winter. Thunderstorm possible
- Supervision: Berber guide speaking French and English, cook, mule drivers.
List of equipment to bring back: The weight of your luggage must be limited and contain all of your belongings. A flexible travel bag with side openings or a rucksack without frame, do not bring back rigid bags and suitcases.
- The list:
- A sleeping bag (warm for winter)
- A small backpack for the day.
- A pair of light walking shoes that hold the ankle well.
- A spare pair of shoes and a pair of sandals.
- Loose pants for walking
- A sweater or fleece (from October to March) and a lighter one to wear underneath.
- A mountain jacket & waterproof jacket & pant
- A change of clothes.
- A flashlight + spare battery.
- A gourd.
- Sunglasses …