The Magic of Middle Atlas Mountains 6 Days
Detail about the package
The Magic of Middle Atlas Mountains 6 Days
The Middle Atlas is a mountainous massif stretching over some 350 km, from the southwest to the northeast of Morocco, located between the Rif and the High Atlas, and covering a total area of 2.3 million hectares, or 18% of the surface domain of this country.
It mainly concerns the provinces of Khénifra, Ifrane, Boulmane, Sefrou, El Hajeb and Midelt, as well as part of the provinces of Taza (southern half, northern half belonging to the Rif) and Beni Mellal (northern half, southern half belonging to the High Atlas) – referred to as the “gateway to the Middle Atlas”. Our Trek will take you to discover this magic area or the Alps of Morocco.
Services Not Included:
Marrakech or Fez – Khenifra – Lake Tomliline:
Transfer by Khénifra to the village of Aït Nouh, the starting point of our Middle Atlas trek. Meeting with our mule team, lunch on site. In the afternoon, we will cross a small forest and a valley to reach Lake Tomliline. (3h walk). Dinner and overnight in Camp Style.
Lake Tomliline (1050 m) – Boumzil (1350 m):
We will cross a forest of cedars, junipers and oaks which shelter some villages. We will follow the Jnane Mass valley, passing near the hamlets of shepherds who settle with their flocks on these plateaus. We will arrive at the point which dominates the valley of Boumzil where we will set up our Camp. (5 hour walk).
Boumzil (125O m) – Tiglmamine (1630 m):
We will continue our trek in the land of the Zayanes (the warriors of the Middle Atlas: Mouha Ouhamou Zayani). We will walk through pastures and forests of holm oaks and cedars. (Possibility of having tea with the locals). This region is a large grazing area, very frequented by transhumants. Our day will be particularly pleasant: freshness, sublime nature, on paths without great difficulty (5 hours of walking). Dinner and overnight in a Camp on the shores of the Tiglmamine lakes.
The 3 lakes of Tiglmamine – Lake Aziza (1300 m):
We are still in the land of Zayan, a tribe famous in the history of Morocco, very proud and very welcoming. We will follow a path that crosses centuries-old forests. These forests are home to a few dozen pairs of monkeys. Many sheepfolds near the pastures, superb views of the mountain and the cedar forest of Ighoud. (5 hour walk). Dinner and overnight in a Camp on the shores of Lake Aziza.
Lake Aziza – Oum Rabia Valley:
By an easy path, we will cross a cedar forest which sheltered the lions of the Atlas, as well as tigers, which disappeared around the 70s. We will follow the Oum Rabia valley with its many villages and cultures to the bivouac on the edge. from the river. In the afternoon, optional walk to the sources of Oum Rabia. (5:30 hrs walk). Return to the Camp.
Day 6: Oum Rabia – Marrakech:
We will leave our last camp, and join our transport in the village of Oum Rabia for the return to Marrakech or Fez. End of Our services
- English speaking guide.
- Full board during the trek.
- Tents, 2 pax per tent.
- Comfortable mattress per person.
- Mules to carry your luggage.
- Services of a Berber cook.
- Travel insurance.
- Personal expenses.
- Tips for the local team
- The drinks.
Maps & Informations
- Portage: For walkers a small backpack for the day’s belongings. Mules or Camels are available for carrying luggage.
- Supervision: By a French speaking Moroccan mountain guide assisted by a cook and muleteers.
- Meals: typical Moroccan dishes (tagine, couscous, …). Fresh products and complementary preserves, meat bought in the mountains. Picnic or salads at noon, hot and cooked meal in the evening.
- Climate: dry and hot in spring, cold at night in winter. Thunderstorm possible
- Supervision: Berber guide speaking French and English, cook, mule drivers.
Accommodation: Camping and Local Houses
- The list:
- A sleeping bag (warm for winter)
- A small backpack for the day.
- A pair of light walking shoes that hold the ankle well.
- A spare pair of shoes and a pair of sandals.
- Loose pants for walking
- A sweater or fleece (from October to March) and a lighter one to wear underneath.
- A mountain jacket & waterproof jacket & pant
- A change of clothes.
- A flashlight + spare battery.
- A gourd.
- Sunglasses …
- To do this trek, you should be in good physical conditions, but efforts will be rewarded.
- Good walking shoes are mandatory, Sleeping bag.
- To confirm this Trek you need a deposit of 15% before you start and 85% at the start time.
- Payment: Cash